Tuesday, August 24, 2010

urge to move

Call it watered down and a light-fare read, but I am and will always be loyal to the NYTimes and writers who've inspired me through each transitional phase of my life. ANYWAYS.

Back in May 2010, an article titled, "Confessions of a Soukaholic" was published... leaving me lusting for more travel.

One of the many roads leading to my apartment.

One of my favorite post-work stops, the olive store!

A Nougat Stop Near Moulay Idriss

Leading the Caravan into the Sahara!

It's amazing, the powers that travel writing can hold. When I first read the "Soukaholic" article, a wave of memories washed over me. Reminding me of the steps I would take through foreign Souks, and yet feeling completely involved, very much a part of the soul of the souk.

Not too long ago, I started reading "Bread of Angels" by author Stephanie Saldana, a tale of her life in Damascus, Syria right after 9/11 as a war waged on in neighboring Iraq. Although of totally different backgrounds, as I read her writing I feel as if I am her, traveling across cities, moving up mountains, a normally quiet and shy woman in the states, but a liberated adventurer in a world so different from hers.

Wanderlusting for the Middle East of days long gone, once more....

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com